Wednesday, March 12, 2008

From Past to Present

My experience in the non-profit world could be described as working in the trenches of social services. These were years I highly regard, as I feel it best prepared me to do the work I’m doing today. And as I transition to a new career and a new way of life, I remember those experiences and use them to the best of my abilities.

Finding your niche in any place of employment is incredibly important. I’m just fine with being the social worker turned consultant. The abilities I can provide are unique. During a recent interview with a non-profit client my educational and professional background was greatly appreciated, I consider this progress. The Executive Director, who also has a Master of Social Work degree, appeared pleased and relaxed by our similarities. By having the chance to explain my non-profit background, I believe I gained more credibility as the “new consultant”. I am now a consultant who can truly relate to the direct service providers.

Instead of moving away from my past professional experiences, I am combining my past and my present. I believe this combination will help me better serve our non-profit clients. For example, my ability to “tell your story and fund your mission” comes from a very hands-on opinion. I understand the challenges the clients and the staff face in social services. Because I understand these challenges, I consider it a responsibility to first-handedly describe the need.

Networking and selling has never been one of my strengths or even my desires. But now I’m finding myself moving through those opportunities with more ease and assurance. I credit this to my confidence in Parmelee and finally combining my education and experience.

While my consultant skills continue to be honed, I will always rely on my social service background to guide my processes.

No comments: