Thursday, March 20, 2008

10-Year Reunion

The process of PR is a new one for me. I have never worked for a company that chose to have my picture taken, write my bio and hire a PR professional to advertise me across the city. I must admit, it is a nice feeling. Little did I know the impact the press release would have in only a matter of days.

I received a message from my high school principal, stating that he received my press release and would like to speak with me. After returning the call, we arranged a day to meet at my high school. Even though I drive past my high school on a regular basis, there is a definite nostalgic feeling about setting foot on those grounds and meeting with the principal. Fortunately for me, I was not a “trouble-maker” in school, so this was an easy reunion.

After forty years of serving as high school principal, this great man is now acting as Director of Alumni Relations. So, it was fitting we should reconnect in this manner. Our meeting also included the Director of Institutional Advancement, who expressed a need for the school to pursue additional funding through grant proposals.

Before I knew it I was selling the wonderful resources of Parmelee Consulting to my high school. I am a little surprised by my own new sales skills. When you truly believe in the product and couple those beliefs with a desire to help an organization achieve their goals, the selling part can be pretty easy. This also is a new phenomenon for me. (Although my dad might say he always knew I could “sell”, coming from the salesman himself.) And I plan on continuing these efforts of connecting a need with an appropriate service and connecting people with people. I am learning that the process of consultancy is more relational than I realized. This works well for me.

Finally, being the willing soul I am, I agreed to plan my class’ 10-year reunion in 2009! Come on, who argues with the principal? I figure I’m either a glutton for punishment or truly willing to help people connect.

No comments: