Friday, June 22, 2007

How Much Do You Charge?

How much do we charge? I dread this question, because the answer is always--it depends.

Ever had a garage sale? There are all kinds of tips out there for how to make your garage sale successful. Create nice displays and group like items together, make sure everything is clean and has fresh batteries in it, have power supply nearby so customers can test electronics and small appliances, and most importantly--clearly price all merchandise.

When I was fifteen, I got my first real job (which meant working for someone other than a relative). I distinctly remember the store owner's policy on price tags. Price tags were to be placed on the back of boxes in the bottom right hand corner. Why? She first wanted the customer to fall in love with the toy--before they knew the price. Then, when they were ready to look for the price, it was always in the same place.

Good advice. But, when it comes to consulting services, I disagree with standardized pricing. Unlike toys, no two consulting clients or organizations are alike. I think a good consultant should offer services customized to meet each client's individual needs.

So, how much do we charge for that? Depends. Depends on what? Ah, I will save the answer to that question for the next blog entry.

No comments: